Our golf experts have brought their heads together to bring high quality golf ball product reviews and guides for you.
We’ve made golf ball reviews that will help you find the best ball for your playing style. In this article I linked professionally-made guides that will answer your golf ball-specific questions.
Many golfers play only one brand of golf ball in all conditions, but not me. I play under so many different course conditions, sometimes more than one a day, that one ball just doesn’t give me the performance I expect.
Here are my favorite 5 golf balls, and why I might choose one for one day, and another on a different day.
Full disclosure: 3 index with a 100 mph swing, 120 yard wedge, 160 yard 7 iron and 270 driver yardage.
Obviously the most popular golf ball on the professional golf tour, my sense is that if it’s good enough for the pros, it sure is good enough for me. This is a medium compression golf ball that sports one of the best overall performances on the course. I recommend this Pro V1 as the top of our best golf balls in this review.
Titleist is also known for a very stable manufacturing process that creates very consistent balls within each sleeve. If it’s a Titleist, you know exactly what quality you are going to get (plus the cool value).
When I am playing at my best, no question this ball is a great choice for me. When I am not playing very well, I look to others.
Titleist Pro V1 Yellow Pros and Cons
- Improved feel across the green
- Produces penetrating ball flights and drops at shallower angles thus generating more roll.
- Being a three-piece golf ball, the Titleist Pro V1 promotes increased spin on longer shots.
- Packed with almost two decades of professional testing, development, and research to promote better games.
- Used by a majority of PGA Tour players
- Most players may not be able to afford the Pro V1 Yellow golf ball
This ball has an amazing feel off of my driver and irons. A well struck ball promotes excellent confidence and feel on the course.
This ball has a soft feel to it, so it tends to fly straighter than many, but also has a very high spin rate for control around the green. Always easy to spin your high irons, getting great backspin is simple, much to the delight of your friends. An added bonus for this golf ball is the red, soccer ball-like red color patches placed around the surface that help your brain more easily determine the distance of the ball from your fingers.
This feature is great in low light or a very hazy day to avoid mis-strikes and it works! The feel around the green is good, but the feel off the putter can be a little soft for my liking. Better to put this ball away when my putting is going south and I just can’t get that normal feel for my putter.
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Red Pros and Cons
- The Truvis pattern design helps maximize the player’s view for better visibility and focus.
- Equipped with Precision Technology for tighter dispersion, fast ball speeds, and ultimately better performance.
- The Hyper-Elastic SoftFast Core ensures superior control, spin, and speed.
- The Tour Aero design promotes consistent ball flight.
- Perfect for golfers who seek forgiveness, distance, and feel.
- The red paint will fade faster compared to other golf ball brands.
No loss in distance here! This is listed as a softer distance ball and I really like the feel of this ball off of my irons.
It also is one of the straightest flying balls on this list and works very well on a cold or windy day, it performs when the weather is a factor.
The other reason for taking up room in my bag is they are inexpensive and I don’t get saucy when I lose a few of these on courses where I tend to lose too many balls. The yellow color also makes the ball easy to spot in the air and in the grass. For me, this is a well manufactured, easy to play ball with a great value!
Titleist TruFeel in Yellow Pros and Cons
- It has a convenient alignment sidestamp that makes it easier to line up the ball without having to make any mark on it.
- The thin TruFlex cover offers a soft feel with superb greenside control.
- The tetrahedral 376-dimple design has an optimized pattern that enhances the distance in a long game.
- Balls are reasonably priced.
- The alignment aid may not sit well with every golfer
This golf ball is one of the best all-around golf balls I have ever played. It has a low compression of 75, but definitely doesn’t feel too soft on the course or on the putter. I wouldn’t hesitate to tee this golf ball up anytime or anywhere.
Around the greens, the Tour B RX ball has a very positive and controllable feel that imparts on me a real confident strike. Off the putter, this ball has a soft, but not too soft, impact that feels great!
Since I favor hitting golf balls that have a yellow color, this ball complies perfectly and is easy to see high in the air or in the higher grass. The actual yellow color, to me, always seems a bit faded than others, but that is a very minor detail that might be a plus to some.
Bridgestone Tour B RX Yellow Golf Balls Pros and Cons
- Features a proprietary REACTIV iQ new smart cover technology that reacts according to the force of impact.
- Designed with a Dual Dimple Technology that offers convenient trajectory along with lower drag via improved aerodynamics.
- Delivers optimized ball speed for off-the-tee maximum distance as well as increased hit and spin performance on all your approach shots.
- Perfect for golfers with swing speeds of less than 105 mph who wish to increase their distance.
- Some players may find its feel to be a rock hard and the sound unpleasant.
- The price might be a little high.
The Vice Pro Plus golf ball has the highest compression of any golf ball on this list at 93. This ball has an excellent distance off the driver and irons and is a real performer on the course. It’s neon green color has a wow factor and always gets comments on its dramatic looks. A real stunner! As with most of the premium balls on my list of favorites, this ball has excellent spin characteristics with my irons and wedges.
I can get it to spin back on the green with little effort. Another great benefit of this ball is the positive feel off of the putter, it feels slightly firmer than others, but I still strike it with confidence. Since I have to buy these balls directly from their website or Amazon, these balls are the second least expensive ball on this list, making it easy on the wallet when it comes time to refill my golf bag.
Vice Pro Plus Neon Green Pros and Cons
- Convenient four-piece design offers ample spin and impressive distance.
- It features a dual casing that contributes greatly to distance and offers the kind of control that golfers with fast swing speeds will appreciate.
- Durable, thin-layered urethane cover that still offers that soft feel for satisfactory short putts and shots.
- The elastic dual mantle helps increase ball speed from the face of long clubs in addition to boosting carry distance.
- The Pro Plus’s durability might not be as good as other premium golf balls.
- Shipping times vary widels based on inventory levels and demand.
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE to our golf newsletter for FREE GOLF TIPS!
As you can see, I really do sport more than one favorite golf ball in my bag, since on the course there are many more conditions with which to contend than one ball can deliver. Some balls I pull out when I am at my best, some when I am not exactly feeling the golf groove. Some balls work well when the weather is not quite what I was hoping for and I have to deal with cold weather or high winds.
I even have a favorite golf ball when I just want to wow my playing partners and friends. Just like your golf game, you have to be ready to adjust when the time comes! Do you like my picks, do you have golf balls that work better for your game, or are you a huge fan of Volvik’s balls? At Tell Me More Golf, we try to bring you the latest in golf tips and reviews. Thanks for stopping by and checking into the latest and greatest in golf!
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE to our golf newsletter for FREE GOLF TIPS!